gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Dec 14 16:11:56 CET 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:52:11 +0100, Nicolas BONARDELLE said:

> Does gpg-agent cache private keys like ssh-agent does or only password ?
> (I'm not sure because my MUA - thunderbid - says it uses it as a
> password-cache)

Actually it should handle the private keys as ssh-agent does.  However
this does for now only work with gpgsm and not with gpg.  For gpg, it
merely caches the passphrase.

> For info, I'm trying to use an USB key to wear my GnuPG keyrings.
> The main goal is to insert the USB key only once per session, type my
> password in and remove it.

Ah, that won't work at all because gpg-agent always reads the
protected private keys from disk and the used the cached passphrase to
unprotect and use them. (as said only gpgsm).

Shalom-Salam,