GPG default use of oldest secret key

VaX#n8 vax at carolina.rr.com
Sun Feb 29 01:37:11 CET 2004

I have several secret keys.  I use the most recent one most frequently.
The default behavior is to use the oldest one (the first on the key ring).

1) Wouldn't using the most recent be a better default?
2) Should I be using --default-key NAME or -u NAME?  The latter is shorter.
3) Is there a way of specifying these options?  I end up using a script
   wrapper for various reasons, one of which is the annoyance of having
   to specify these options (the other is that I have several similarly-named
   keys and specifying mine is either a lot of typing or memorizing a key ID)
4) Is there a better way to do what I want, such as creating a new secret
   ring in a different order?

I have skimmed the GPH and manpage for answers to these questions but I have
not found them.  I apologize in advance if I have overlooked something.