Charset problems with 1.2.4

Jordi Mallach jordi at sindominio.net
Fri Jan 2 02:17:27 CET 2004

Hi,

I just upgraded to 1.2.4 (Debian) and found out that using the Catalan
locale, gpg outputs broken messages.

Using a ca_ES.UTF-8 locale:

65669:jordi at nubol:~$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.4
[...]
Home: ~/.gnupg
Algoritmes suportats:
Clau p�blica: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Xifratge: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Dispersi�: MD5, SHA1, RIPEMD160, SHA256
Compressi�: No comprimit, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

It should read "pública", "Dispersió", "Compressió".
For ca_ES.ISO-8859-1, OTOH, it shows the accented chars as a non-utf-8
character.

For es_ES, it shows the accented chars as a latin1 character (which
doesn't show up well in my UTF-8 terminal).

For es_ES.UTF-8 it shows up well.

It appears that changing the encoding of my Catalan translation from
latin1 to UTF-8 wasn't the best idea... :) GnuPG should handle this,
and should output the characters correctly regardless the encoding of
the source .po file, and having in account the locale that is being
used.

Jordi
jordi at sindominio.net     jordi at debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/