--list-only and symmetric encryption (fwd)

Atom 'Smasher' atom at suspicious.org
Tue Jul 6 17:31:17 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Timo Schulz wrote:
> On Tue Jun 29 2004; 23:46, Atom 'Smasher' wrote:
>
> > key. i don't understand how a message can be efficiently ("efficiently",
> > meaning that the message is only encrypted once) encrypted to multiple
> > symmetric keys.
>
> That's not difficult, but I've to admit you need to know the OpenPGP
> format in detail to see it without thinking too much.
>
> Tag 3 "Symmetric-Key Encrypted Session Key Packets" has an optional
> field to hold the encrypted session key. This key is used to encrypt
> the message. The session key itself is encrypted via the S2K key
> derrived from a passphrase. If you have more passphrases, the same
> session key is encrypted with different passphrases (S2Ks).
>
> Tag3 (- Optionally, the encrypted session key itself, which is decrypted
>         with the string-to-key object.)
>

> You see the key for the _message_ is always the same, while the key
> to protect the session key itself is different for each passphrase.
> If you know one passphrase, you can decipher the message.
>

> Hope my achievement is clear to you.
======================

so, if i understand this correctly, the message is still encrypted with a
random session key; multiple packets can each encrypt that session key to
a different symmetric key; any of those symmetric keys can be used to
decrypt the message. that's it? sounds cool....

 	...atom

 PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

	"Beware, a record of the books you borrow may end up
	 in the hands of the FBI. And if the FBI requests
	 your records, librarians are prohibited by law from
	 telling you about it. Questions about this policy
	 should be directed to Attorney General John Ashcroft,
	 Department of Justice, Washington, D.C. 20530."
		-- Sign greeting patrons entering all 10 of
		the county libraries in Santa Cruz, California