[FEATURE REQ, RFC], improving ergonomic HMI fingerprint cross verification

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 16 18:55:51 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:52:49 -0400, David Shaw said:

> The problem with this sort of thing is translation.  I don't know what
> "Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot" would be in other languages,

It is the standard in all wireless communications.  For example all
radio amateurs are required to know this phonetic alphabet.  AFAIK, it
has been choosen so that all terms are easily distinguishable even by
most non-english speakers.

However, I don't think that printing these works will help much and it
makes visible comparison of a printout to a screen displayed
fingerprint even harder.

> This would be a really big problem for translators.

Not only this.  Such an alphabet is highly dependent on a good
understanding of the language and thus every language would need its
own alphabet - making it even harder to exchange fingerprints across
borders.

Thus better learn the Alpha..Zulu alphabet and just use it when
reading fingerprints to someone.