[FEATURE REQ, RFC], improving ergonomic HMI fingerprint cross verification

Thomas Schorpp t.schorpp at gmx.de
Fri Jul 23 15:26:15 CEST 2004

Werner Koch wrote:
| On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:57:32 +0200, Thomas Schorpp said:
|
| I then take that the
| paper slip, put it directly onto the display surface, just below the
| displayed fingerprint, and I am able to find a mismatch at a glance.
|
| Nowadays that everyone has a business card with a fingerprint, this
| doesn't work very well anymore ;-).

well...

|>| Thus better learn the Alpha..Zulu alphabet and just use it when
|>| reading fingerprints to someone.
|

|>you mean it? absolutely inacceptable cause human error impliable by an
|

| Yes, that are just 6 words.  And well it does'nt matter mutch if you
| accidently use Berta instead of Bravo.

ive got another (better) idea regarding all your comments, using colors:

all (*n*x) standard consoles, websites and platform gui support the
needed 16 colors for substituting a hex number, dont they?

so ill have printed a line of full ascii "block, die" chars a line below
~  every fp output with a --color option to gpg:

- - a look of a 1 second is needed to verify short color bars by human
brains, verifying all the hex digits you need at least 5.
- - no translation problems in speech verifying(self translating to any
human language)
- - colors are known and handled in every culture, even by childs.
- - acceptable extra space needed at the --fingerprint output screen.
- - acceptable to webdesigners, youll find and know with one quick look
its a gpg user and his/its key and it would look "honorable" like the
badges of mil generals ;), implying a trustworthy website too.

tom