Problems with interpolibility between GnuPG and PGP when using SHA384-SHA512 hashes

Joe Vender jvender at owensboro.net
Wed Jun 16 20:09:59 CEST 2004

Is there some internal incompatibility between the SHA512 and SHA384
hashs in GnuPG and the same hashes in the new  PGP sdk 3.x of PGP 8.x?
According to information at http://www.pgp.com/products/sdk.html , the
new PGP sdk 3.x supports the large hash functions including SHA256,
SHA384 and SHA512. However, when I sign a message in GnuPG 1.2.5rc2
(with SHA512 compiled read/write for testing) using SHA512 as the hash,
PGP returns "BAD Signature" when verifying. Same with SHA384 signed
GnuPG messages. PGP *DOES* verify signatures correctly when GnuPG uses
SHA256 as the hash. Any idea what the problem might be?

---
PGP Encrypted/Signed Email Preferred
See the kludge (full email headers) for my PGP key