your gnupg patches

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 30 17:04:15 CEST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:03:55 +0200, Bernd Jendrissek said:

> The same argument can be made for gzip, bzip2, and yet they make
> changes.

we have a development branches for this.

> I haven't looked in a while; does GnuPG have a testsuite?  So that I can
> type 'make check' and it'll pump gigabytes through gpg to be signed,

Yes, but it is obviously not possible to test for bugs you don't know.

> encrypted, decrypted, whatever.  If any bit differs from the "correct"
> result, you FAIL the test.

Almost all messages contain random data, so a simple compare can't be
done.

>> Its not about the GPL, see  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/why-assign.html

> GPL code can freely incorporate public domain code, AFAIK (but IANAL).
> The only reason to prefer GPL-assigned-to-FSF over public domain is that
> in the event of a GPL violation, the violator cannot be hauled over the
> coals for the public domain parts.

Please read the article I mentioned.

> How do you guarantee that without using __attribute__((mode (SI))),
> which is a GCC *extension*?  Sure, you can always define types that are
> *at least* N bits long (at least for N <= 32).

As everyone does this: using configure checks

> Aren't there some El Weirdo machines that are neither little nor
> big-endian, and consequently have a NUXI problem?

I have never seen one and it is unlikely that an ISO C compiler is
available for them.

> Oh well, okay.  Says who ("too slow"), BTW?  I'd love to see my
> cellphone able to produce OpenPGP output (not that a cellphone would be
> "too slow" or "weird"), or a pinpad at the bank, etc.

I don't see the problem,  I have not yet seen >= 32 bit CPU where
GnuPG does not at least build.

> BTW these failures would manifest themselves at runtime, not
> compile-time.

That's why we have a "make check"

> Sorry, Werner, but I have just seen too much endianness and
> alignment-assuming code here where I work to have any tolerance left for
> code that "happens to work".  Yes, it "happens to work" for good reason,

The code is perfectly okay and safe - there are no alignment problems.