Aw: Re: OpenPGP SMTP headers

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat May 22 06:19:52 CEST 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:58:43AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 May 2004 08.41, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> > > A header says "you can download my key from here if you want it".
> > > application/pgp-keys says "here is my key.  Take it."
> >
> > I guess I didn't get your point here - why not configure gpg to
> > retreive missing keys from a key server automagically, and then
> > your're done? If you don't like this idea and want something special,
> > you're free to add any header to the message envelope you like as
> > long as it starts with "x-" and complies with rfc2822.
>
> Since many keyservers today are broken, I think a standard way to
> specify a canonic location for key retrieval in an mail header would be
> a good thing.

Note that if you are signing a message, the development GnuPG can
implant a URL to download the key from right in the signature.  The
recipient (using auto-key-retrieve) can get this key from whatever URL
you specify.  It doesn't even have to be on a keyserver.

(The next development GnuPG should be out very soon).

David