Is direct calling "iconv.dll" really needed in Win32?

Zuxy zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 04:22:46 CET 2004

Simply because iconv.dll is not yet installed in most Windows
desktops, so it's better for gnupg to check if it really exists.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Carlo Luciano Bianco
<clbianco at tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> when I was trying to fix the building problem with GnuPG 1.3.92 and the
> "vasprintf" function (see previous message), I did also the following
> experiment:
>
> I removed from util/strgutil.c all the "#ifdef _WIN32" code for direct
> calling the "iconv.dll" library, i.e. I applied the attached patch. Of
> course, I added a "-liconv" to makefiles.
>
> So here comes my question. If the "standard" GnuPG code which works in a
> Linux environment works also without problems in Win32, why adding a
> "#ifdef _WIN32" code to do the same thing with a direct loading of
> "iconv.dll"?
>
> Is this "special" code really needed for something else or can it be just
> dropped in favor of the "standard" one, which maybe can even be linked
> statically with libiconv.a solving some of the problems currently under
> discussion on gnupg-users list?

Most people here work under GNU/Linux and therefore they may consider
a statically linked version as unnecessary. And most people here speak
Western languages with only 26 letters and therefore they don't really
need iconv.dll at all!

--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,