Fails when compiling

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Oct 3 19:18:20 CEST 2004

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:23:25 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> You can either make an alternative GPGME package that is configured to
> use gpg2, or you can manage gpg via alternatives in Debian (the latter
> looks to me like the better solution).

FWIW, I guess that we need at least 6 more months to get gpg2 as
matured as gpg 1.3.90. In the meantime there is not much point in
having a gpg2 package.

Some notes on terminology:

 GnuPG (or gnupg)

    is the entire gnupg package consisting of just the gpg utility in
    package versions < 1.9 and all the tools (gpg2, gpgsm, gpg-agent,
    scdaemon) in later versions.

 gpg

    is the well known OpenPGP utility.  In versions 1.9 it gets
    installed as gpg2, though.

 gpgsm

    is the newer CMS/X.509 (S/MIME) counterpart of gpg utility.  It is
    independent of gpg but provides a similar functionality.

 gpg-agent

    is part of gnupg > 1.9 but may als be used with any current gpg
    versions (1.2.6, 1.3.90, gpg2 1.9.11).

Shalom-Salam,