GnuPG and smartcards

Peter Palfrader gnupg-devel=gnupg.org at lists.palfrader.org
Sat Oct 23 04:19:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Werner Koch wrote:

> > I also get errors, when I try to generate keys on card:
>
> > | gpg: please wait while key is being generated ...
> > | gpg: pcsc_transmit failed: not transacted (0x80100016)
>
> this or there is a real problem.
>
> The "not transacted" comes from pcsc and seems to be a catch-all
> error.  I am looking into this with Ludovico (pcsclite) and Carlos
> (libtowitoko).  I don't have these problem with the internal CCID
> driver.  You should try it: make sure that libusb is available at
> build time and stop pcscd - the internal ccid driver will then be
> used.  You need proper permissions for USB though; see below.
>
> I thought it is a problem with libtowitoko but may be the PC/SC CCID
> driver has the same problem - I didn't tested it due to USB stack
> problems on the other machine running linux 2.6.8.

As before, signing works.  However, it only works once, then I have to
restart hotplug (which unloads and reloads the modules).

Decryption never works:
| gpg: apdu_send_simple(0) failed: card I/O error
| Please insert the card and hit return or enter 'c' to cancel:

Maybe I find the time to try it on a 32 bit system with 2.6.9 soon.

This is 2.6.7 x86_64 with 64 bit userland.

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal