keyring thrashed

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Tue Aug 9 13:12:27 CEST 2005

I'm not sure if I should write here or to gnupg-users, but during migration
to 1.4.2 on my main gnupg installation it has become unusable.

Sidenote: various versions of gnupg has been used over this .gnupg directory
(which is backed up) and that could lead to the corruption.

Anyway.

I migrated the installation to 1.4.2, did a few minor operations, then
issued

  gpg -kvv |less

to see contents of the keyring (which is quite big). Then it screamed about
out of bounds MPI, started displaying lots of duplicate keys. Now it is
unable to rebuild trustdb at all.

The keyring in question is about 10 megabytes so I do not append it to this
message. I also do not want to publish it since there is a quite a chunk of
personal info in addressess, but I can put it online encrypted to someone
of the team who would be interested in looking into the problem.

I plan to split the keyring into individual keys, then rebuild it from
scratch, but I'd lose local signatures this way. Is there a way to do not
lose locasigs on import?

Alex
--
mors ab alto