[Patch] internatinal domain names for email addresses

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jan 6 15:11:56 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:24:19AM +0100, Thomas Kuehne wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:

> |>Using rfc822 mailbox format in the user IDs is merely a suggestion and
> |>not required.  It is out of GnuPG's scope to handle this.  A frontend
> |>might do so but GnuPG won't - mainly for reasons of complexity.
>
> | Plus, the user ID string is already UTF8.  Is there any need to encode
> | it further in punycode?
>
> The problem are the domain names:
>
> 1) Current gpg rejects non-ASCI domains.
> "HKP fetch error: bad URI"
> "Not a valid email address"

This is different problem (and different code) than user IDs.  I do
think the keyserver helpers should handle IDNA for keyserver
hostnames.  This should not be part of gpg, though.  Let gpg pass the
utf8 keyserver name to the gpgkeys_foo program and if gpgkeys_foo
needs to do IDNA-to-ascii that should be done there.

I hear the curl people are planning on IDNA support, so if we do end
up using curl for the HTTP-ish keyservers, this may happen
automatically there.

> 2) Host selection/comparison fail.
> ??????.idn.kuehne.cn == xn--fiq228c.idn.kuehne.cn
> maß.idn.kuehne.cn == mass.idn.kuehne.cn

Not sure what you mean here.  Host selection and comparison where in
the program?

David