[Patch] internatinal domain names for email addresses

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Thu Jan 6 17:16:27 CET 2005

David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:

>> 1) key selection:
>> gpg --edit-key user at xn--fiq228c.idn.kuehne.cn
>> gpg --edit-key user@??????.idn.kuehne.cn
>
> Perhaps I am missing something, but it strikes me that users should
> never be using the punycode format directly.  This is an encoding to
> accomodate software that cannot handle unicode.  Since GnuPG does
> handle unicode, the user should be using the actual unicode name and
> not translating it and then typing in the translation.

The IDNA specification require that any field that is IDN-unaware use
the punycode format.  RFC 3490:

   An "IDN-unaware domain name slot" is defined in this document to be
   any domain name slot that is not an IDN-aware domain name slot.
   Obviously, this includes any domain name slot whose specification
   predates IDNA.
   2) Whenever a domain name is put into an IDN-unaware domain name slot
      (see section 2), it MUST contain only ASCII characters.

The OpenPGP specification could be updated to say that the any RFC
2822 User-ID field may be considered IDN-aware.  More changes may be
required as well.

Generally, users will have to use the punycode format until all
protocols have been updated.

Thanks,
Simon