Starting gpg-agent from Xsession

Peter Eisentraut peter_e at gmx.net
Sat Jan 22 11:22:20 CET 2005

I've been experimenting with ways to start gpg-agent automatically from
Xsession (on Debian, in particular) so that users don't have to modify
their .xsession or .xinitrc or whatever.

Basically, this would amount to doing something like this
in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/something (which is sourced by Xsession, so the
effect is the same), which is mostly analogous to the ssh-agent
handling:

if $SOMEUSERSETTING; then
  if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ] && [ -z "$GPG_AGENT_INFO" ]; then
    eval `gpg-agent --daemon`
  fi
fi

The problem that I see, however, is that this does not terminate the
gpg-agent when the X session finishes (unlike ssh-agent).  I've also
played with a number of other invocation methods such as --server,
--no-detach, or invoking the window manager as an argument of gpg-agent
(which is how ssh-agent does it), without success.

Does anyone have a good idea how this could be accomplished?  Or is it
not a problem to let the gpg-agent running?  Or is this whole thing a
bad idea altogether?  Comments welcome.