Accessing gpgkeys_* fails on Windows

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jul 9 22:09:06 CEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:49:31PM +0200, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 06:55:39PM +0200, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> >
> >>I just noticed that gpg 1.4.2rc2 is not able to find gpgkeys_hkp.exe. I
> >>have installed GnuPG using the Windows installer, but to a non-default
> >>directory (E:\GnuPG\GnuPG).
> >>According to the debug log, gpg is looking for gpgkeys_hkp in c:\lib;
> >>but that directory doesn't exist:
> >>gpg: DBG: expanding string "c:\lib\gnupg\gpgkeys_hkp -o "%o" "%i""
> >>
> >>I looked into the source code and I could imagine the reason to be
> >>DISABLE_KEYSERVER_PATH not being enabled. Is this correct?
> >

> > This is an interesting situation.  The code was compiled with one
> > path, but installed under a different one.
> >
> > What happens if you stick "exec-path e:\GnuPG\GnuPG" in your gpg.conf
> > file?
>
> In this case, gpgkeys_* is found correctly.

Good.  I'm not sure what the best answer for this is.  GPG needs to
know what the path is to the gpgkeys_* programs since they may not be
in your $PATH.  Unfortunately, by installing it in a different
directory, the default path no longer points to the right place.
Perhaps the right answer is to have the Windows installer append the
"exec-path" to the gpg.conf file at install time for people who don't
put GPG in the default place.

David