Charset encoding of passphrase

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 26 17:25:28 CEST 2005

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:00:27 +0200, Patrick Brunschwig said:

> My question is: do I have to encode the passphrase in utf-8 or does it
> need to be encoded in the charset of the command prompt (in this case
> Windows-850), or yet something else?

It should be the same encoding as used when creating the passphrase.
The data is taken verbatim and not interpreted except for the native
LF character to indicate the end of the passphrase string.  In general
I'd suggest using utf-8 but this depends on the system.

> When I enter a passphrase with e.g. ä on the Windows command line (no
> charset in gpg.conf set), I can't find the correct encoding in Enigmail

Stick to plain ASCII ?

Salam-Shalom,