Possible chosen-ciphertext attack on receiver anonymity

Brent Waters bwaters at theory.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jun 30 21:35:12 CEST 2005

Hi,

I thought that there might be a chosen-ciphertext attack on receiver anonymity
for a message to multiple recipients. I wanted to check my understanding of how
GPG handles a certain case to see if this is a problem.

The specific case I am worried about is when the "throw-keyid" option is used
to encrypt a message to multiple recipients. My understanding is that the
throw-keyid option should hide the identity of the a receiver of the message
(by throwing away the key-id) even from other receivers of a message. Suppose I
made such an encryption of M to Alice and Bob, then the hybrid encryption (at a
high level) would look something like this:
1)Choose random symmetric key key K
2)Ciphertext: (C1,C2,C')=E_{KeyAlice}(K)E_{KeyBob}(K),E_K(Message)
where C1,C2 are asymmetric encryption and C' is a symmetric key encryption.

At this point Alice and Bob can both decrypt the message, but neither can tell
if the other was the other receiver. Suppose Bob suspects Alice was the other
receiver. Then he can create a ciphertext:
(C1,C'')=E_{KeyAlice}(K)E_K(NewMessage)
and send this to Alice, if Alice responds to this in a meaningful way she was
the other receiver. NewMessage could be something simple like "Do you want to
go to lunch?" which would likely elicit a response. Note, this can be a problem
even if the ciphers are CCA-secure.

Anyway, I wanted to see if my understanding of how this was implemented was
correct. Can anyone comment on this?

-Brent