[Announce] GnuPG 1.4.1 News

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 15 18:22:11 CET 2005

Hello!

I forgot to insert the NEWS for 1.4.1; there are actually not that
many as those for the last release.  Here we go:

 * New --rfc2440-text option which controls how text is handled in
   signatures.  This is in response to some problems seen with
   certain PGP/MIME mail clients and GnuPG version 1.4.0.  More
   details about this are available at
   <http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-January/024408.html>.

 * New "import-unusable-sigs" and "export-unusable-sigs" tags for
   --import-options and --export-options.  These are off by
   default, and cause GnuPG to not import or export key signatures
   that are not usable (e.g. expired signatures).

 * New experimental HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and FTPS keyserver helper
   that uses the cURL library <http://curl.haxx.se> to retrieve
   keys.  This is disabled by default, but may be enabled with the
   configure option --with-libcurl.  Without this option, the
   existing HTTP code is used for HTTP, and HTTPS, FTP, and FTPS
   are not supported.

 * When running a --card-status or --card-edit and a public key is
   available, missing secret key stubs will be created on the fly.
   Details of the key are listed too.

 * The implicit packet dumping in double verbose mode is now sent
   to stderr and not to stdout.

 * Added countermeasures against the Mister/Zuccherato CFB attack
   <http://eprint.iacr.org/2005/033>.

 * [W32] The algorithm for the default home directory changed:
   First we look at the environment variable GNUPGHOME, if this one
   is not set, we check whether the registry entry
   {HKCU,HKLM}\Software\GNU\GnuPG:HomeDir has been set. If this
   fails we use a GnuPG directory below the standard application
   data directory (APPDATA) of the current user. Only in the case
   that this directory cannot be determined, the old default of
   c:\gnupg will be used.  The option --homedir still overrides all
   of them.

 * [W32] The locale selection under Windows changed. You need to
   enter the locale in the registry at HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG:Lang.
   For German you would use "de".  If it is not set, GnuPG falls
   back to HKLM.  The languages files "*.mo" are expected in a
   directory named "gnupg.nls" below the installation directory;
   that directory must be stored in the registry at the same key as
   above with the name "Install Directory".

 * Add new --edit-key command "bkuptocard" to allow restoring a
   card key from a backup.

 * The "fetch" command of --card-edit now retrieves the key using
   the default keyserver if no URL has been stored on the card.

 * New configure option --enable-noexecstack.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>
The GnuPG Experts                                http://g10code.com
Free Software Foundation Europe                  http://fsfeurope.org