Code for 'clean total'

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Oct 31 05:06:21 CET 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:56:54AM +0100, Dirk Traulsen wrote:
> Hi David!
>
> I'm the one who started the thread "Feature request: expand 'clean'
> to 'clean total'" at gnupg-users. Unfortunately you didn't comment on
> the issue, in spite being the one who wrote the clean options.
> If you didn't see it, here is the main point again:
>
> ----snip----
> > So here is my feature request: Please make an option to delete
> > signatures, for which there is no corresponding signing key on
> > the local keyring.
> ----snip----
>
> As you can see in the thread, there are, me aside, other people who
> would appreciate a function 'clean total'.

I have no problem with the function concept.  I have to confess my
problem with this is the name ;)

Right now we have "import-clean-sigs" and "import-clean-uids".  To get
both, you can either use both, or use "import-clean".  Adding
something called "import-clean-total" looks like it should mean the
same thing as "import-clean" (i.e. all possible import-clean-xxx
values).  I think it would confuse people.

The thesaurus lists these verbs for 'clean':

absterge, bath, bathe, blot, blow, brush, cauterize, clarify, cleanse,
clear up, deodorize, depurate, deterge, disinfect, do up, dredge,
dust, edulcorate, elutriate, erase, expunge, expurgate, flush, hackle,
launder, lave, mop, neaten, pick, pick up, polish, purge, purify,
rake, rasp, refine, rinse, rout out, sanitize, scald, scour, scrape,
scrub, shake out, shampoo, soak, soap, sponge, spruce up, sterilize,
straighten up, swab, sweep, tidy up, vacuum, wash, whisk, winnow, wipe

Most of these are silly, but some are not too bad: purge perhaps, or
neaten.  Maybe even wipe.  What do you think?

David