OpenPGP Card

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 5 15:23:51 CEST 2005

"Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> writes:

>The conclusion of my discussion with people here is that the need of using
>PKCS#11 for accessing various smartcards is not clear. I've tried to
>highlight the advantages of using standard software API to access external
>devices, but I've failed.

Users of crypto tokens tend to fall into two classes, hobbyists/enthusiasts
(who don't mind hacking their own glue code, so PKCS #11 isn't too important),
and commercial/business users (who really need PKCS #11 but who probably
wouldn't use GPG).  The result is, as you've found, something of a lack of a
market for PKCS #11 combined with GPG.

Peter.