OpenPGP Card

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 5 18:23:38 CEST 2005

"Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> writes:

>I use Athena smartcard www.athena-scs.com which works perfectly in term of
>Linux and PKCS#11. I enjoy using it with Java JCE, Mozilla, Tunderbird,
>PAM_PKCS11, I've encrypted my disk using aes-loop and then required gpg to
>support PKCS#11... And here we are...

Oh, that's the old Aladdin stuff.  Well, they've certainly come a *long* way
since I last looked at them - in the 1999-2000 time frame they had the worst
PKCS #11 driver I've ever seen, and their "support" consisted of telling you
to buy more copies of their $700 SDK to see whether they'd fixed any of the
bugs in the version you already had.  I still have some of their hardware
lying around as a paperweight somewhere.

(Disclaimer: I have no idea what it's like now (it certainly sounds a lot
 better than it used to be), I'm just saying that at one point it was really
 bad).

Peter.