OpenPGP Card

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:19:45 CEST 2005

Zeljko wrote:

>> I would have help merging it if I knew that there is a chance to merge
>> it into to gpg source.
>>
> Judging by the discussion on this list.. it seems that there is no chance
for that :(

> Look in the archives of gnupg lists, IIRC it is around November 2004, for
threads started by me. I was quickly discouraged by Werner and
> nowhere as persistent as you in trying to persuade him into the usefulness
of PKCS#11.

Yes... I agree... I gave up... Tried to help... And failed.

> IMHO, PKCS#11 has succeeded where ISO7816 has failed: providing a
> (relatively) simple way to interface with many smart-card implementations,
many of which aren't ISO7816-compliant above level 3 - they even don't
> support basic interindustry commands, but provide their own proprietary
and undocumented command set.

I agree!

> Personally, I think that applications not supporting PKCS#11 and/or MS
CAPI will become extinct much before than non-compliant ISO7816 cards.
> These two have become the de-facto industry standards. I'm no fortune
teller, so time will prove me right or wrong :)

This is exactly my claim... I've tried to introduce this argument to
Werner... But without any success...
I was out of new arguments when I gave up... I think that an open source
project that does not support software interaction standards will be
replaced by a different solution when the time comes.

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.