large file support in Win32

cdr cedar at 3web.net
Fri Sep 23 02:05:03 CEST 2005

Werner Koch wrote:

> Anyway, I solved it now by using GetFileSizeEx.  I ran a test today
> and it works. I was only abe to do the decrytpion to nul but it didn't
> reported an error.
>
> On pre W2000 system GetFileSize will be used.

It is generally preferable for application developers to warn the
users against creating and processing files which are larger than
2**31 bytes, than to try to make their particular application
process such files in 32-bit windows systems.

A file is almost never an object dealt with exclusively by a single
application or program; it is almost certain that it will sooner or
later be dealt with by an operating system component or third party
utility, many (if not most) of which on Win32 family of operating
systems will choke on such files, or, worse, fail without giving any
indication of the fact.

cdr