Problem with PGP key

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 22:17:43 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 02:14:36PM -0500, Alaric Dailey wrote:

> Over at CAcert we are having problems with a user trying to get his PGP
> key signed.  This PGP key works properly under PGP, but fails to even be
> imported with any version of GPG we have tried. Can someone tell me what
> the problem is, is this a bug, is this just a bad way to form the user
> ID or what?

This key:

pub   2048R/80B42B0F 2005-09-23
      Key fingerprint = 971D C3C0 2397 8113 2C7D  5145 1086 CBD7 80B4 2B0F
uid                  JOHN W. MOORE III (GSWoT:US:26) <johnmoore3rd at joimail.com>
sub   3072g/684C50FA 2005-09-23

appears to import just fine with at least GnuPG 1.4.1 but...

> Version: PGP 8.1
> Comment:

...it only does so once the empty comment field is repaired (either by
removing it or filling it in).  Without that GnuPG barfs before looking
at the key data itself: