--raw-sign, --raw-verify

Anthony Carrico acarrico at memebeam.org
Sun Apr 9 00:37:39 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:16:49PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> The main problem I have with raw signatures is nicely stated in this
> documentation: it's not OpenPGP.  GnuPG (1.4, anyway) is an OpenPGP
> tool.  It seems out of scope for it to support something other than
> OpenPGP.

People make an investment when they exchange keys to build an identity
with OpenPGP. It makes sense to capitalize on that investment when an
application uses same algorithm, but not the same syntax. The
alternative is a proliferation of separate key infrastructures--surely
a bad thing. From this perspective, the focus of the proposed patch
really is on OpenPGP.

> That strikes me as a better task for a tool written to use
> gcrypt or openssl.

That might make sense when using a certificate authority, but for
peer-to-peer key exchange, OpenPGP is the premier protocol, and in
many (most?) communities, GnuPG is the premier implementation.

--
Anthony Carrico
http://giftfile.org