Better proxy support available via libcurl?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Aug 3 11:31:08 CEST 2006

Werner Koch wrote:
> Consider that the GPL is not a contract.  It gives you certain rights
> over those established in copyright law if and only if you obey to the
> terms of the GPL.

The same idea applies to license grants.  The legal principle behind
adhesion and adhesion-like things is that ambiguities will generally be
resolved in a manner favorable to the person who does not have a say in
the wording of the agreement.

Again, I'm not saying a court _would_ do so... only that we need to be
very careful about the pronouncements we make about law.  The law is
just full of edge cases like this.  What's the ultimate answer?  I don't
know--ask an IP lawyer.

If Eben Moglen makes a statement about how the license ought to be
interpreted, I'll take that very seriously.  He's clearly qualified, he
understands how to do legal research, and he's been very careful to
differentiate what he can prove from what he can argue from what he
believes.

But we're not lawyers, and we need to be very careful with our armchair
lawyering.