Better proxy support available via libcurl?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Aug 4 19:49:03 CEST 2006

At Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:36:38 +0200,
Christoph Ludwig <ludwig at Fh-Worms.de> wrote:
> Sorry to intrude - are there any online resources that summarize these
> discussions? And that give some guidelines what does (according to the FSF)
> constitute an effective "license barrier" between two applications. (As soon
> as they communicate over the network? As soon as they communicate over a
> standard protocoll like http? ...)

See Werner's link to the FAQ.  In addition, please note that there is
a good reason to _not_ define what the "license barrier" is: The FSF
wants the maximum protection available under law.  Any definition on
their part can only reduce their protection, not enlarge it.  Thus,
they remain vague.  Also, the issue is _not_ a matter of technology
(consider single-address space operating systems, just for example, or
the other extreme, distributed computing with migrating threads).

> Depending on the answer, a project I am with may be forced not to use the
> GPL for its own software (and consequently to stay clear from any GPL'ed
> software). Till now we assumed (too naively, perhaps) that we avoid any
> conflict if we do not actually link (with ld or one of its compiler frontends)
> against non-GPL code.

You can send the details about your project to gnu at gnu.org, and they
will look into it and give their advice.

Thanks,
Marcus