poldi bug: SIGSEGV if no reader

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Feb 17 08:25:11 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:26:52PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> When pcscd is running, but no reader is connected, poldi makes the
> program segfault. Here is a backtrace:

Similarly, if another application (such as scdaemon) is holding the
card open from pcscd, pcscd tells poldi "sharing violation" and poldi
aborts the whole process rather than cleanly returning a PAM code for
"couldn't authenticate".

I understand scdaemon is holding the card open to allow PIN caching?
That's rather problematic, because then it will never be able to
coexist peacefully with poldi. Unless pcscd can serve more than one
client at a time, but I suspect there is a good reason for pcscd to
serve only client at a time; what would happen if poldi would try to
access the card in the middle of key generation?

I suppose having poldi use the scdaemon is out of the question, too,
because they are being executed by different users?

Is there a clean way to solve this?

--
Lionel