Confusing results

Kurt Fitzner kfitzner at excelcia.org
Thu Jan 5 05:22:25 CET 2006

I recently ran into an error while importing a key into my keyring.  The
results reported by GnuPG seem a little confusing:

gpg: requesting key 500B8987 from hkp server wwwkeys.pgp.net
gpg: renaming `e:/apps/gnupg\pubring.gpg' to `e:/apps/gnupg\pubring.bak'

     failed: Permission denied
gpg: error writing keyring `e:/apps/gnupg\pubring.gpg': file rename
     error
gpg: key 500B8987: public key "[User ID not found]" imported
gpg: error reading `[stream]': file rename error
gpg: Total number processed: 0
gpg:               imported: 1

One part of GnuPG seems to think the import succeeded (which, in a way,
it did), while another is giving an error message.  The end result was
that the import failed, but it's hard to tell from the message that it
did, since it claims the key was imported.

This error was caused by another instance of GnuPG operating while this
one was.  Would it be possible for GnuPG to check for a lock on the
keyring before it tries to manipulate it?  That would probably avoid
something like the above occuring.

	Kurt.