key generation question

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Fri Jun 16 19:19:40 CEST 2006

Joe Vender wrote:
> Question:
> Is it possible - and if so, how - to generate an RSA key in which the
> size of the key is a prime number? For example, a key size of 4013,
> 4051, etc. ? Every time I try to use a prime number for the key size,
> PGP rounds the size up to a non-prime number. Why will it not
> generate a key of ANY size between 1024-4096?

IIRC, the standards require keys to be multiples of 32 bits in length.
Any value you specify will be rounded up to the next multiple of 32.

If you specify a key length of 1025, you'll get 1056.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10