GnuPG 1.4.4 build error on mingw/msys when using mingw-runtime-3.10

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:18:59 CEST 2006

Joe Vender wrote:
> After upgrading mingw-runtime on my mingw/msys build environment to
> mingw-runtime-3.10 from 3.9, I experience a build error when trying to
> compile the GnuPG 1.4.4 source code. I receive the error in random.c at:
>
> #ifdef HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
> #include <sys/times.h>        <-------
> #endif
>
> complaining that it can't find <sys/times.h>, resulting in other errors
> and an abort.
>
> Reading from the changelog for mingw-runtime-3.10 at
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=585368
>
> "* include/sys/time.h: Add header guard. Add extern "C" bracketing
> for __cplusplus.
> (gettimeofday): Add prototype.
> * mingwex/gettimeofday.c: New file.
> * mingwex/makefile.in: Add gettimeofday source and object."
>
> Apparently, the "gettimeofday" prototype was introduced in
> mingw-runtime-3.10, but it's located in <sys/time.h>,
> not in <sys/times.h>. Indeed, I have no <sys/times.h>
>
> This causes the compilation attempt to abort.
>
> Since gettimeofday wasn't being #defined for me prior to this version of
> mingw-runtime, I didn't see this error prior to now. Is this simply a
> typo, or is there an inconsistency, between platforms, in naming
> conventions for the header files regarding where the prototypes are
> defined? Simply changing <sys/times.h> to <sys/time.h> resulted in a
> successful compile and passing of all 27 "make check" tests.

What I find interesting is the following (in cipher/random.c):

<snip>
#ifndef _WIN32
#include <sys/time.h>       <--- there's the file you have
#endif
<snip>
#ifdef HAVE_GETHRTIME
#include <sys/times.h>
#endif
#ifdef HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY
#include <sys/times.h>
#endif
#ifdef HAVE_TIMES
#include <sys/times.h>
#endif
</snip>

In cipher/ChangeLog:

<snip>
2003-08-28  David Shaw  <dshaw at jabberwocky.com>

* idea-stub.c, random.c; s/__MINGW32__/_WIN32/ to help building on
  native Windows compilers.  Requested by Brian Gladman.  From
  Werner on stable branch.
</snip>

So, why has _WIN32 changed? Or has it?

--