[mutt+gpg-agent+pinentry] command get_passphrase failed: Unknown system error

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Mon Mar 20 23:16:41 CET 2006

Hello GnuPG folks,

This afternoon, I decided to tamper around with GPGME on my FreeBSD
7.0-CURRENT box, using Mutt 1.5.11. The FreeBSD port didn't support the
--enable-gpgme flag, so I patched the port and sent the patch to the
FreeBSD camp:

The cool thing is that reading email works like a charm. Mutt prints
messages like these:

| [-- Begin signature information --]
| Good signature from: Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
|             created: Mon Mar 20 19:25:46 2006
| [-- End signature information --]

Because sending email would also come in handy, I installed pinentry.
After finally getting gpg-agent and pinentry up and running, I still
can't send any email with Mutt.

When I compose a new message, which is signed by Mutt and press the 'y'
button (send), I get a fancy pinentry dialog. For some reason, gpg-agent
cannot figure out the passphrase. Mutt shows the following error:

| error signing data: Bad passphrase?

gpg-agent logs the following message:

| 2006-03-20 22:57:18 gpg-agent[62511] command get_passphrase failed: Unknown system error

I looked through the gpg-agent sourcecode and added some log_error()'s
to it. A faulty return value is raised in the following piece of code in
query.c, line 516:

|   assuan_begin_confidential (entry_ctx);
|   rc = assuan_transact (entry_ctx, "GETPIN", getpin_cb, &parm, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
|   if (rc)
|     {
|       xfree (parm.buffer);
|       return unlock_pinentry (map_assuan_err (rc));
|     }

assuan_transact() returns a non-zero value. I tried using the pinentry
utility from the console, but GETPIN works okay. Is this a known issue?

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/