gpg 1.9.93 -- wrong use of gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 19 12:21:38 CEST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:49, Patrick Brunschwig said:

> I think there's definitely something wrong with using gpg-agent in gpg2.
> It seems that I'm unable to provide the passphrase via --command-fd,
> gpg2 always calls the gpg-agent, even if I explicitly disable this.

That is intended.  The plan is to move all secret key oeprations to
gpg-agent and thus gpg2 won't need a passphrase at all.  As of now we
use the agent only for passphrase caching.  To prepare for the real
change, gpg-agent is now required and --no-use-agent is a dummy
option.  The reason why --passphrase-fd still works is for using gpg2
with symmetric keys taken out of a database or similar.

> This is my gpg.conf file (it's also interesting that the
> "no-secmem-warning" entry is disregarded):

I can't replicate that.  However this is done in libgcrypt and you
might have an older one.

--require-secmem didn't worked either.  I just fixed that but
unfortunately this needs a libgcrypt update to work.

Shalom-Salam,