(L)GPLv3 licensing dilemma: gpg stack

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 9 19:37:35 CEST 2007

On Thu,  9 Aug 2007 13:34, rdieter at math.unl.edu said:

> gpgme-1.1.5 is LGPLv2.  Fortunately, the LGPLv2 allows one to relicense code
> under any version of the GPL since GPLv2.  So, distributing it as GPLv3
> looks ok.  But... as there are many apps out there that currently link

We will stick to LGPLv2+ for gpgme.  So there is no problem; the assuan
copy in libgpgme is also still LGPLv2.

> dirmngr-1.0.0 is GPLv2.  This looks like a problem too.

Yes, there is a problem with libassuan.  The FSF told me that they are
working on an exception clause to allow LGPLv3 with GPLv2.  I need to
check with them.  If nothing helps we will need to switch libassuan back
to v2.

> (1) in fedora anyway, including: basket, centericq, claws-mail, gpa, kdepim,
> licq, mcabber, pygpgme, seahorse, sylpheed.  Many of these are currently
> GPLv2 only.

Yeah, the Qt problem.

Do you have any deadline until this needs to be resolved?

Shalom-Salam,