(L)GPLv3 licensing dilemma: gpg stack

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 16 08:59:14 CEST 2007

On Thu,  9 Aug 2007 19:37, wk at gnupg.org said:

> Yes, there is a problem with libassuan.  The FSF told me that they are
> working on an exception clause to allow LGPLv3 with GPLv2.  I need to

The actual problem is that the GPLv2(only) does not allow the extra
conditions set forth by the LGPLv3.  Thus an exception clause in LGPLv3
software is not possible.  I am still trying to convince RMS that we
need to do something about it but until now without any success.

I just checked the changes since the switch to LGPLv3 on 2007-07-05.
They are all done by us (g10 Code) and thus we are able to release a
version based on that last LGPLv2 release with all our changes under the
LGPLv2.  I will do that in case I can't convince the FSF within the next
week.

Salam-Shalom,

Die Gedanken sind frei.  Auschnahmen regelt ein Bundeschgesetz.