Frontend for GPG

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Dec 15 16:14:01 CET 2007

Brad Tilley wrote:
> I'm writing a quick frontend to gpg (cross-platform... Win, Lin, Unix
> & Mac in Python) just for the --symmetric function, but may some day
> grow to do more. Are there any docs that describe a programmatic
> interface to gpg or how to go about this sort of thing with a
> os.system and/or os.popen library?

As a word of warning, do not expect it to work reliably under Windows.
There appears to be a bug with I/O redirection--or, at least, there was;
I haven't tested with 1.4.7 or 1.4.8 to see if it's still there.  See:

http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2006-April/022832.html

I have run into this problem with Python, Java and C#, so I doubt that
it's a bug in either my code or my virtual machine implementation.  I
don't want to point the finger at GnuPG, however, given that Win32 has a
long history of wacky bugs.