UID ordering

Christian Danner gnupg-devel_list at danner-net.de
Fri Feb 16 19:10:36 CET 2007

Hello David!

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:10:55 -0500, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com>
wrote:

>> Is it possible that the list of a key's user-ids returned by GPG 1.4.6
>> is reordered and doesn't represent their positions within the key?
>> What am I missing?
>
>Generally, GnuPG tries to put the most recent or primary user ID
>first, but there are no real requirements that user IDs are in any
>particular order.  If you want a user ID to be the primary one, you
>can do that in the --edit-key menu with the "primary" command.
>
>David

Thanks for your kind answer, which unfortunately only raised new
questions.

Is there a real indicator for the primary uid defined within the key?
In the first place I searched for such a flag at the 'uid:...' line,
but found no information about it in the 'DETAILS' file.

My addmittedly rudimentary tools show me, that rearranging the uid
list by defining a 'primary' uid simply moves the concerning user ID
packet on top of all others. So I assume that it's necessary to
preserve that ordering when dealing with a --list-keys command.

Kind regards

Christian
--
OmniMix .. protect your privacy