UID ordering

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Feb 16 20:47:33 CET 2007

David Shaw wrote:
> There is.  When you set a primary UID, the self-signature on that UID
> is actually remade with a signature subpacket that tags the UID as the
> primary one.

By my understanding, it's merely the UID with the most recent signature
that's considered "primary".  I seem to recall running into this when I
set a UID as primary, and then added another UID.  At that time the new
UID became the primary one.  (This also seems to be a disadvantage of
changing the primary key regularly: you get a bunch of extraneous
self-signatures)  Also, if it's just a flag that says "this one is
primary", what happens if different UIDs are set as primary on different
keyrings, and then they're merged?

Or am I totally off in my understanding of this?

-Alex Mauer "hawke"