[gpgme] hidden recipient support

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jan 21 19:43:42 CET 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:02, twoaday at gmx.net said:

> I know it's not a very important issue, but I would like
> to ask for --hidden-recipient support in gpgme. It's not

I considere -R an esoteric option which is in general not very useful.
It is designed to add some privacy but it can't be used alone to
accomplish this.  it is also often abused to hide the key used for
self-encryption.  This does not make sense and in fact raises
suspicion at the receiving end on who owns that unidentified key.
Unlikely BCC in mail, the existence of wildcard recipients (the
OpenPGP option -R uses) is visible.

You should think twice before adding support for such an option to a
frontend.  If you still think that is is required, we can add support
for it.

Shalom-Salam,