Camellia

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jun 19 12:11:21 CEST 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:55, malayter at gmail.com said:

> I have to ask... why? From what I've read, Camellia is so similar to

It is a political thing and as such technical arguments are not of prime
importance - as long as a cipher has no known weaknesses.  This is much
the same as why some governments in Europe recommended or even demanded
the use of RIPE-MD160 over SHA-1.

Eventually we might even need to add some Great-Wall cipher[1] or a
Russian GOST into OpenPGP to make the use of this protocol easier for
these countries.  Fortunately Germany is not keen to demand the use of
Magenta[1] :-)

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] Well, I have severe doubts that China is interested in strong
    cryptography today but that may change over time.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAGENTA