eccGnuPG

Sergi Blanch i Torné sbt at megacceso.com
Wed Mar 28 13:02:18 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 12:16, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:
> > Algorithm       generate  100*sign  100*verify
> > DSA 1024/160           -     410ms       530ms
> > DSA 2048/224           -    1760ms      2260ms
> > DSA 3072/256           -    3950ms      5040ms
> > ECDSA 192 bit       20ms     720ms      1270ms
> > ECDSA 224 bit       40ms     900ms      1650ms
> > ECDSA 256 bit       50ms    1120ms      2090ms
> > ECDSA 384 bit      100ms    2610ms      4900ms
> > ECDSA 521 bit      280ms    6930ms     13240ms
>
> Cool!  How does it compare to RSA?

Now is only the digital signature moment, and then the encryption algorithms
can come in. Yes, it is true that exist an schema for rsa signature but it
have more sense to compare the DSA over finite fields against the same schema
over elliptic curves.

> > The upshot is that we are now more that 3 times faster.  The next step
> > is to look out for test vectors and then the code should be ready for
> > use.

The elliptic curves over finite fields (named E(F_p) uses curve point
operations, but this points are defined over this finite field. Notice that
DSA calculate some integer operations (in order to thousands of bits) and
ECDSA calculate some point operations that will be much integer operations
(in order to hundreds of bits). Future work: curves over binary fields