Problem with gpgme in gpg4win 1.1.3

Igor Belyi gpgme at katehok.ac93.org
Sat Apr 5 15:38:09 CEST 2008

It looks like moderator for gpg4win mailing list is not around, so I'll
repost my message here.

I ran into the problem when a different than default directory is
selected during gpg4win 1.1.3 install. It manifests itself when gpa.exe
is started and fails to find the engine. It is caused by mismatch
between gpg4win using newer approach of registering "Install Directory"
and "gpgProgram" strings in "HKLM\Software\GNU\GnuPG\" key and GPGME
relying on either "HKCU\Software\GNU\GnuPG\gpgProgram" (note the HKCU vs
HKLM) or on the program being in the default location. There's a note in
the "src/inst-gnupg.nsi" of the gpg4win source saying that relying on
"gpgProgram" key is an old style and sure enough the newer version of
GPGME (although also 1.1.6, just like in gpg4win 1.1.3) does uses the
"Install Directory" to find all the necessary gpg.exe, gpgsm.exe, and
gpgconf.exe.

On related note, the new GPGME still checks for gpgProgram in HKCU and
not HKLM rooted location. On my machine I noticed that there was an
entry in there which looks like left-over from some previous
installation and (as expected) it is not removed by the newer version of
gpg4win on install/uninstall. This caused even newer GPGME to assume a
wrong location for gpg.exe. I removed that registry value on my machine
but I suspect other users may run into similar problem.

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Igor