ID Substring Matching

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 4 15:29:10 CET 2008

On Fri,  5 Sep 2008 21:27, lann-gnupg at hurricanelabs.com said:

> If I specify a recipient on the command line, say:
> -r friendly at example.com
> gpg may select <unfriendly at example.com> as the actual recipient. Despite
> being documented in the manual, this feature is potentially dangerous
> for the inexperienced GnuPG user (me). Also, it is an uncommon enough

We can't change this anymore becuase it would break alsmost all
applications of gnupg.  The suggested way to speicify a key is by using
its fingerprint which does not have this problem.

Good mail clients do their own matching to allow the user to select a
key if there is no unambiguous key available for example if two keys
friend at example.com are in the keyring.

Salam-Shalom,