[Announce] GPGME 1.1.6 released

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 10 12:17:59 CET 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:32, alon.barlev at gmail.com said:

> Why drop?

Because gpg2 will eventually work like gpgsm and not know anything about
secret keys.

> How can batch applications do crypto operations without this option?
> I guess they can write pinentry-env, and do:
> PINENTRY_USER_DATA=secret gpg --sign <>

Well, this is a hack to write a custom pinentry.  It is not intended to
convey the passphrase.  It is also very questionable why a batch
application needs a passphrase protected key at all.

The other solution is to use gpg-preset-passphrase.  This is similar to
a crypto file system and let you put the passphrase into RAM for later
use.

Salam-Shalom,