[Announce] GPGME 1.1.6 released

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 17:49:00 CET 2008

On 1/10/08, Marcus Brinkmann <marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> At Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:40:15 +0200,
> "Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 1/10/08, Marcus Brinkmann <marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > > Can you describe your problem in more detail?
> >
> > It is not my problem... Well... kind of... as you guys keep breaking
> > backward compatibility, and I get all the bugs of depended packages.
>
> gpg and gpg2 are separate product lines, which are both fully
> supported for the foreseeable future.

Forcing users to install both versions on their system, maintaining
problem with each is incorrect approach. But whatever... we cannot
change this now.

> > For example, if you have webmail that holds gpg keys on behalf of its
> > users... Current implementations enables users to specify passphrase
> > using html dialog, and pipe the passphrase into the gpg application.
> > Agent mode is not suitable for this kind of operation.
>
> That's a very specialized application domain which requires a ton of
> further considerations, and a lot of effort to get it "right"
> (arguably, your assumptions already restrict the feasible security
> that can be achieved).  Under such circumstances, I don't think it is
> unreasonable to require some extra effort in choosing an appropriate
> pinentry solution.  The gpg2 framework allows for a number of
> solutions here, but which one is best requires careful considerations
> to the specific requirements.

This answer is political and not technical... There are working
applications *NOW* and you are going to break them.
But again... this is irrelevant now... from experience you guys will
do whatever you like, forwarding the issue to distribution
maintainers.

Alon.