[Announce] GPGME 1.1.6 released

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jan 13 20:17:38 CET 2008

At Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:59:17 +0200,
"Alon Bar-Lev" <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:
> But if upstream releases product without proper QA (this case with
> its own products!!!), I see no reason why the work should be delegated
> downstream.

The GPGME release was tested with gpg, not gpg2.  gpg is what GPGME
configure searches for and uses by default.  But now that gpg2 starts
to get used more frequently, I think it makes sense to add a
compilation against gpg2 to the pre-release test procedure.

> I work with many types of people and upstreams, g10 is the hardest
> to work with, this also effect the service its users get.
>
> gnupg-2.0.8 already not provided to our users, gpgme-1.6 the same.
> If other downstream will create patch for these, I will gladly add,
> I just don't understand why upstream which aware of an issue does not
> release a fix.

Because making a release costs time and money.  Not only for g10 Code,
but also for all distributions etc. who want to stay up to date.  By
requesting a release one is effectively saying that the changes since
the last release are worth these costs, and in this case I don't think so.

> BTW: Look at the changelog of last couple of version, you will notice how
> many patches from Gentoo were accepted... And still we left with some
> patches/tweecks.

Sometimes things fall off the table.  If you send me a list with open
issues I can respond to them specifically and individually.

Thanks,
Marcus Brinkmann

--
g10 Code GmbH       http://g10code.com      AmtsGer. Wuppertal HRB 14459
Hüttenstr. 61                               Geschäftsführung Werner Koch