sending interactive passwords

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 1 12:24:10 CEST 2008

On Tue,  1 Jul 2008 09:30, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> Werner, it was just a couple of months ago you were saying GnuPG 2.x was
>  in a release state for Windows.  Am I misremembering?  Or is this just
> a beta of 2.0.9, and 2.0.8 is still considered the stable version?

Right.  GnuPG 2.0.9 is pretty stable on Windows.

There is one last change which will go into 2.0.10: The equivalent of
/etc/gnupg as changed on Windows from the installation directory to
%CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA%/GNU/etc/gnupg.

That change is already available in 2.0.10 snapshot as included in the
mentioned gpg4win beta.  The new feature in 2.0.10 will be:

 * New keyserver helper gpg2keys_kdns as generic DNS CERT lookup.  Run
   with --help for a short description.  Requires the ADNS library.

 * New mechanisms "local" and "nodefault" for --auto-key-locate [gpg].
   Fixed a few problems with this option.

 * [W32] Initialized the socket subsystem for all keyserver helpers.

 * [W32] The sysconf directory has been moved from a subdirectory of
   the installation directory to %CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA%/GNU/etc/gnupg.

 * New gpg2 command --locate-keys.

 * New gpg2 options --with-sig-list and --with-sig-check.

 * Made gpgsm's --output option work with --export-secret-key-p12.

 * gpg-connect-agent accepts commands given as command line arguments.

 * The gpg2 option --fixed-list-mode is now implicitly used and obsolete.

 * New control statement %ask-passphrase for the unattended key
   generation of gpg2.

 * gpgsm now uses AES by default.

FWIW: We also found and fixed a race condition in GPGME when using
gpgme.  Not all file descriptors were closed when executing gpg or
gpgsm; under certain circumstances this could lead to hanging processes.

Easy to fix under Unix (fork(2) rocks!) - hard to get by on Windows:
Marcus had to write a wrapper and to rewrite the invocation of
gpg/gpgsm.

Salam-Shalom,