gnupg1 still needed?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jul 18 03:50:03 CEST 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:39 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:

> I thought I (or someone) had asked this question in the not-too-
> distant past, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  (sorry if it has).
>
> Is gnupg(1) still needed, where gnupg2 is available?
>
> It's been proposed to consider dropping gnupg(1) from Fedora 10, to
> consolidate on gnupg2, so I am looking for any pros/cons to that.

They are two different programs for two different purposes.  There is
significant overlap (they both do OpenPGP), but they're not direct
replacements for each other.

gpg (1) has been built into lots of scripts and server-side gadgets.
A forced change to gpg (2) is pretty likely to break all of that.

David